Terra di Toscana www.terraditoscana.com

San Vincenzo

Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 7.175

Situated on the coastal Maremma, the municipal territory extends for 33,13 square kilometres, to the north of the Piombino promontory, on the flat land along the coast and on the hills towards the east. It was constituted in autonomous municipality in 1949, detaching itself from Campiglia Marittima.

News of some historic interest relative to the past of San Vincenzo is found stylishly represented on its coat of arms. From XII century Pisa had initiated one of those coastal towers normally used to look out for dangers which could reach them by sea. On this part of the territory, ancient dominion of the Counts di Biserno, Pisa in fact exercised full political jurisdiction, which passed to Firenze in 1406, following the subjugation of the Pisa State. When Pisa, between the end of the 1400 and the first years of the 1500s re-conquered a short lived independence, right in the neighbourhood of San Vincenzo on 17 August 1505, took place the pitched battle between the Fiorentino army commanded by Ercole Bentivoglio and the troops of Bartolomeo d’Alviano who moved to help Pisa: the defeat of the latter signified the imminent end for the marine city.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford


Terraditoscana © Polimedia - All rights reserved
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia - P.IVA 05575950489