Inhabitants in 1991: 7.580
territory of Borgo a Mozzano extends for 72,41 square kilometres in the
low Valle del Serchio and in part on some of the hills between the steep
mountain sides and the gravelly shingle of the river. After numerous territorial
modifications in the course of the last century it reached its present
day aspect in 1962 with the aggregation of the district of Motorone
detached from the municipality of Pescaglia.
Borgo a Mozzano mentioned for the first time with the name of Mutianum
in a parchment of 991, was originally the dominion of the Lords dei
Soffredinghi, Lords of Anchiano and of their consorts di Corvaia. In
1227 it passed to the republic of Lucca who assigned it to the vicar
of Coreglia, under the consort of the Antelminelli. It returned to the
Lucca State in 1369 and was ceded in 1438 to Francesco Sforza together
with the Vicariate of Coreglia: it remained there until 1441, when it
was reconsigned to Lucca, and followed their successive history. In
1563 it became capital of the commissariat. Among its illustrious
sons is the painter Antonio Luchi (1709-1774).
|Places to visit:
Ponte del Diavolo, or della Maddalena,
it is an asymmetric 1300s construction.
a little way out of the town, constructed in XV century by Paolo Guinigi.
Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford