Terra di Toscana www.terraditoscana.com

Basilica di San Miniato

The exact date when the Basilica of San Miniato al Monte was constructed is not known, but it is thought that building started on a Benedictine abbey around about 1015; the date 1207 marked into the paving indicates the year in which the essential parts of the work are presumed to have been completed. In 1499 the original bell tower collapsed, and in 1518 it was replaced by the one designed by Baccio d'Agnolo, which was never completed. The church and the convent belong to the Olivatans, a Benedictine congregation whose central base is at Monte Oliveto.

Picture by Sandro Santioli
Translated by Jeremy Carden


Terraditoscana © Polimedia - All rights reserved
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia - P.IVA 05575950489