Terra di Toscana www.terraditoscana.com

Chiesa di Santa Felicita

This may well be the oldest church in Firenze, and archaeological finds dating back to 418 seem to lend support to this hypothesis. Beneath the current church, built in 1736, tombstones have been found with inscriptions in Greek from the early Christian period.

Known as the church of the Grand Dukes because it lies along the path of the Vasari Corridor, it has undergone numerous changes over the years; the last one was carried out in 1736 by the architect Ruggieri, who enlarged the old building and incorporated three chapels, one of which is the Capponi chapel built by Brunelleschi in 1410.

Translated by Jeremy Carden


Terraditoscana © Polimedia - All rights reserved
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia - P.IVA 05575950489