foundation stone for the Teatro della Pergola was laid in July 1652 on
the site where there had been a vegetable garden with a beautiful pergola,
thus giving rise to the name of one of the most well-known theatres in
Europe and the most beautiful in Firenze.
The Pergola was built to house the Accademia dei Concordi, which then
became the Accademia degli Immobili, whose 'patron protector' was Cardinal
Giovan Carlo de' Medici.
It was designed by the architect Ferdinando Tacca.
The first version of the theatre was in wood, and it was subsequently
reconstructed in stone by Giulio Mannaioni. We owe its current form to
Bartolomeo Silvestri (1928) and to Gaetano Baccani (1937), and it was
the latter who created the elegant foyer.
The first performance took place as early as 1656, even though the theatre
was still incomplete, but it was not officially opened to the public until
In the second half of the year 2000, the Saloncino which forms part
of the theatre complex will be enlarged (to approximately 400 seats),
restored, and reopened. It has already been used in recent years for meetings
with actors, press conferences, and various other kinds of meetings relating
to theatrical activities.
Picture by Teatro della Pergola
Translated by Jeremy Carden