bridge was originally built in 1257, but has been reconstructed a number
of times due to frequent flooding. The current shape of the bridge is
the work of Ammannati, who realised an idea of Michelangelo's, producing
one of the most beautiful of all the bridges.
Following serious damage caused by German mines in 1945, it was rebuilt
in the Sixties exactly as it had been before; the original designs were
used and parts of the damaged statues were recovered from the river bed.
The four statues positioned on the corners of the bridge represent the
four seasons: Spring and Autumn are by Giovanni Caccini, Winter is by
Taddeo Landini, and Summer by Pietro Francavilla. These statues were created
to mark the marriage between Cosimo II and Maria Maddalena of Austria
Picture by Sandro Santioli
Translated by Jeremy Carden