Home Cuisine Landscape and nature Architecture and art Sport Accommodation Visiting Gadget Learning Arts and Crafts The way we were Organized tours Home Cucina Paesaggio e natura Arti e Mestieri Sport Accoglienza Visitare Gadget A scuola di... Architettura e arte Come eravamo Tour organizzati
Italiano
English
Visiting
Visiting
Visita il Mugello, culla dei medici, a due passi da Firenze e le bellezze toscane
 

Visiting Tuscany

 

 
 

Towns of the area

3 / 17

Aulla

Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 10.164

The municipal territory of Aulla extends for 59,79 square kilometres in a hilly zone in the Val di Magra, Ancient castle, it reached its present day territorial extension in the last century when the district of Caprigliola was aggregated to it in 1870 and that of Albiano in 1881.

The village was erected in antiquity as a stopping point along an important traffic route, and in 884 Adalberto, Marquis di Toscana, founded a castle and the Abbey di San Caprasio “inter flumes Macrae et Aulae”. Over the years the Abbots assumed a form of sovereignty over the surrounding territory, officially ratified by the seal of Onorio II in 1126 and then by a certificate of Federico II in 1222. It passed, towards the end of the XIII century, under the jurisdiction of the Bishop of Luni, and about one century later Aulla became the possession of the Malaspina di Ponzano. Among other events (by now the little city with its territory had become a strategic zone of notable importance and relevance and therefore the target of the great antagonists: Pisa, Lucca, Genova, Firenze who with Giovanni dalle Bande Nere conquered it and possessed it from 1525 to 1529) the Marquis di Aulla held the city until 1543 when he ceded it to the dei Centurione family of Genova. The new domination lasted until 1704. Put under auction in 1710 by Emperor di Baviera, Aulla was acquired by the Malaspina di Podenzana for 30,000 florins. The feudal was abolished by Napoleon after the Vienna Congress and was assigned to the Estensi Dukes of Modena, with whom it remained until the Risorgimento, when it became part of the province of MassaCarrara (1859). During the last war it was rased to the ground by the Anglo American bombardments and during the Liberation struggles, the partisan formations were particularly active and audacious, after having strongly opposed the German troops, they managed on 24 April 1945 to free the city before the arrival of the allies.

Places to visit:
La Brunella, Fort erected in the 1500s, it has the Seat of the Natural History Museum of Lunigiana which efficiently illustrates the various ambiences of the territory.
Madonna della Neve, sanctuary constructed in the early 1600s and destination for pilgrimages.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford

 
 
 
   
 
return to top of page
   
       
  Terra di Toscana

© All rights reserved Polimedia di Laura Fumoni
Via Landucci 39 - 50136 - Firenze - P.IVA 05575950489 - REA C.C.I.A.A. FIRENZE N. 559547
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia

 
  Advertising | About us | Contacts | Site search | Copyright - Disclaimer | Press Kit