Terra di Toscana www.terraditoscana.com

Towns of the area

4 / 17

Bagnone

Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 2.248

The municipal territory of Bagnone extends for 73,79 square kilometres in the high Lunigiana, in an essentially mountainous area. It had its origins as a castle and became Vicariate Seat under Firenze in the XV century; it reached its present day aspect in 1894 when the district of Orturano was joined to it, having previously been part of the municipality of Villafranca.

The first documented note of Bagnone, erected as a castle overlooking the ancient village of Gutula, which it eventually encompassed, goes back to 1124. Ancient possession of the Malaspina, inherited by the branch of the so called dello Spino Fiorito (1220), and under these remained until 1339 when the, not huge, territory was divided in three distinct Marquisates, Bagnone, Treschietto and Castiglione. Apart from the second half of the XIV century Bagnone, for various and complex events, became part of, and under the protective interest of, the Fiorentina republic. A peoples revolt against the Marquis Cristiano (1471) ended by forcing the latter to cede the community definitively to Firenze for the sum of 6,000 ducats, despite the opposing attempts of the Duke of Milano. Bagnone remained in the Grand Duchy of Toscana until 1796 when it was aggregated to the Luguria republic, from whom it soon became broken up to be included in the district of the Appennini. After the Restoration it was annexed to the Duchy of Parma where it remained until 1859.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford


Terraditoscana © Polimedia - All rights reserved
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia - P.IVA 05575950489