Inhabitants in 1991: 10.201
territory of Barga, situated in the Garfagnana, extends for 66,53 square
kilometres on the left slope of the middle Valle del Serchio, as far as
the hills between the valleys alongside the rivers Corsonna and Loppora.
The first historical mention of Barga, which was originally the Seat
of the Ligurian tribe – as is witnessed by the finding of some
tombs at Bebbio and Val di Vaiana – goes back to the X century.
Dominion of the Longobarda family dei Rolandinghi, it passed subsequently,
in the course of the XII century under the jurisdiction of Lucca:
in 1185, when Emperor Federico I freed the towns of the Garfagnana
from the subjugation to Lucca, trusting the governing to its vicar
Guglielmo di Pallodi, in 1234, 1272 and again in 1298. On the death of
Castruccio Castracani degli Antelminelli, in 1328, Barga was finally
consigned to the Fiorentini, who sent a garrison which was twice repelled
by Lucca in 1331 and 1332. In 1341, because of the intervention of Mastino
della Scala, Firenze obtain the definitive possession of Barga, which
remain true to the city and the Grand Duchy until the annexation to the
realm of Italy. Later, in 1930, the centre was elevated to City.
Bargo is the birthplace of Bolognino di Borghesano, who is traditionally
recognised as having introduced the art of silk to Bologna; and the artist
Baccio Ciarpi (1578-1644).
|Places to visit:
La Loggia del Podesta, it is
part of the essentially 1300s Palazzo Pretorio, Seat of the Civic
Museum of Barga
Piazza Angelio, ancient nucleus of the
town, it is the largest space in the town where the principal cultural
manifestations are held.
Palazzo Comunale, sever building
in ashlar masonry facing onto the Piazza del Comune
sever construction dedicated to S. Cristofano: it was build from IX
to XVII centuries in a position of great panoramic effect. It suffered
grave damage in the earthquake of 1920. The interior basilica with
three knaves preserves precious works of art from various eras, Of
note is the 1200 Pulpit. The construction is alongside an important
crenellated bell tower.
Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford