Terra di Toscana www.terraditoscana.com

Towns of the area

2 / 20

Bibbona

Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 2.793

The municipal territory is situated in Val di Cecina, on the extreme offshoot of the Metalliferous Hills; it is comprised on one part by hills and one part by coastal plain, and has a surface area of 65,55 square kilometres. It reached its present day aspect when the district of Cecina was detached and constituted in autonomous municipality.

Medieval castle, first property of the Abbey of Santa Maria in Vico Masio (o Mansio), then of the Lucca Cathedral, around the XII century it became possession of the Lordship of the Gherardesca Counts, who fortified it and when the municipality of Pisa affirmed its jurisdiction, it obtained the Vacariate. Capital of the community since the XIII century Bibbona had a greater autonomy than the other communities of the Val di Cecina, so much so that in 1345 it had the strength to rebel against the local representatives of the power of Pisa. Undergoing, in 1371, a hard siege by the mercenary troops of John Hawkwood, it remained however under the political dominion of the Tyrrhenian republic until 1406, the year in which it was incorporated into the Fiorentino State. There followed the events of Toscana passing under the French domination in 1801. In 1815 in was re-annexed to the Grand Duchy , of which it was a part until the Unity of Italy.

Places to visit:
Palazzo Gardini, imposing 1700 building, it was decorated externally by Luigi Ademollo.
S. Maria della Pietà, church erected at the end of the 1400s.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford


Terraditoscana © Polimedia - All rights reserved
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia - P.IVA 05575950489