Terra di Toscana www.terraditoscana.com

Towns of the area

2 / 39

Bientina

Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 5.291

The municipal territory of Bientina extends for 29,26 square kilometres on the plain of Valdarno di Sotto, on the eastern slopes of Monte Pisano, south of the river bed drained by Lake Bientina. It has its territorial origins in the Medieval with successive aggregations.

The first historic mention of Bientina goes back to 793. A document from 1117 gives news of the sale made by the Marquis of Toscana Rabodone to the Bishop of Pisa, of the castle, its district and its Lordly jurisdiction. The Lordship of the Bientina Castle by the Pisana church was confirmed in 1138 by Emperor Corrado II. In the XIII century it passed under the dominion of the municipality of Pisa who made it Seat of Captaincy with its own jurisdiction until, in 1285, it transferred under that of Lucca. From 1402 it became part of the Fiorentino State and remained under the government of Firenze for the entire period of the Grand Duchy, except for the brief uprising in 1494 with the arrival of the troops of Carlo VIII in Pisa.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford


Terraditoscana © Polimedia - All rights reserved
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia - P.IVA 05575950489