Inhabitants in 1991: 3.103
municipal territory of Buonconvento extends for 64,78 square kilometres
on the low hills at the influx of the Ombrone and the Arbia rivers. It
had its origins as a Medieval Podesta office with jurisdiction
on a territory of vast dimensions.
The first news of Buonconvento goes back to the end of the XII century,
when the village which had developed on the via Francigena acquired importance
as a stopping place and centre of commerce; always under the protection
of Siena, it became an important strategic point for the control
of the area, in so much that in 1270 it was already Seat of Podesta office.
Devastated in 1289 by the exiling Siena Ghibellini, in 1313 Buonconvento
was occupied by the Imperial troops of Arrigo VII (who died there
in the same year) and again in 1315 by Uguccione della Faggiola. Conquered
for a brief time in 1358 by Perugia fighting against Siena, it was
walled by the latter between 1371 and 1385, even if its fortification
was only completed in the middle of the 1400s. In 1480 the privilege of
Siena citizenship was conceded to the inhabitants of Buonconvento.
|Places to visit:
Palazzo Ricci, rare testimony of Liberty style in the Siena
Val d’Arbia Museum of Sacred Art, where interesting and
precious works of various artists are collected.
Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford