Terra di Toscana www.terraditoscana.com

Towns of the area

6 / 35

Camaiore

Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 30.646

The municipal territory of Camaiore situated in Versilia, extends for 84,59 square kilometres occupying most part of the submontane basin and the pleasant slopes of the Tyrrhenian mountain sides of the Alpi Apuane.

The oldest documents relative to Camaiore go back to the VIII century and are mostly acts of donation of land to the Benedettino monastery of San Pietro, which was built on municipal territory. It then developed under the jurisdiction of Lucca. The village, surrounded by walls towards the middle of the XIV century, in 1429 underwent a ruthless sackage by the Fiorentine militia captained by Rinaldo degli Albizzi and again the following year by the troops of Milano led by Piccinino. It fell into the hands of the Visconti in 1436, and then again taken by the Fiorentini the following year, Camaiore passed definitively to Lucca in 1442, and subsequently followed their destiny. It was raised to City in XIX century by the interest of the Borboni. It is the birthplace of the musician Francesco Gasparini (1668-1727) and Ermenigildo Pistelli philologist and writer (1862-1927).

Places to visit:
Municipal Archaeological Museum, organised in the antique building Tori-Massoni, exhibiting finds from the area surrounding the city.
Collegiata, Romanic church of 1278 in the centre of the town.
La Badia, ancient church founded by the Benedettini in 760. the three nave interior preserves a huge marble Baroque altar.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford


Terraditoscana © Polimedia - All rights reserved
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia - P.IVA 05575950489