Terra di Toscana www.terraditoscana.com

Towns of the area

3 / 28

Campagnatico

Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 2.471

The municipal territory of Campagnatico extends for 162,15 square kilometres in a partly hilly and partly flat area crossed by the River Ombrone. Medieval castle, capital of a Podesta Office in modern times, it has suffered over the years changes to its borders with the detachment between 1920 and 1926 of the districts of Pari, Casal di Pari, Civitella and Paganico which now form the municipality of Civitella Paganico.

Recorded in a document from 973, Campagnatico and its territory were subjected to diverse jurisdictions during the Medieval. In XI century the Abbey of San Salvatore on Monte Amiata and the same Pontiff court owned land there. Again in the XIII century the castle belonged in co-ownership to the Visconti di Campiglia and the Aldobrandeschi: Omberto di Campagnatico was part of the latter lineage, he was mentioned in the XI Canto of Dante’s Inferno, and who in 1256 attacked and imprisoned in the castle several ambassadors of the Siena republic. Three years later Siena vindicated the affront it received by having Omberto killed by assassins; his assets passed then to his sister Fochina, bride of Donusdeo Tolomei, who already had a lease contract on one third of the castle, the court and the territory of Campagnatico. On the death of Tolomei his widow and the other co-owners, the Visconti di Capiglia, starting in 1282, gradually sold the entire castle to the Siena republic, to whom in subsequence Capagnatico remained tied. In 1363 the territory was occupied for a brief time by an adventurer company captained by Niccolò di Montefeltro. It declined in the Medieval period and returned to prosperity under the government of the Grand Duke Pietro Leopoldo I di Lorena who gave it an agricultural reform abolishing the great landed estates, actuated the rebuilding of the biggest part of the run down buildings, and promoting the building of a printing house, a watchmakers and a glassworks. Other major districts of the capital are also rich in history: Montorsaio, castle owned by the Visconti di Batignano, then by the Salimbeni di Siena, and from 1375, it passed to the Siena republic definitively. Theatre of partisan operations during the resistance, Campagnatico was liberated by the local group on 12 June 1944.

Places to visit:
S. Antonio, ex 1200 church, then Seat of the Perseveranti theatre, the interior is finely decorated with 1300-1400 murals.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford


Terraditoscana © Polimedia - All rights reserved
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia - P.IVA 05575950489