Terra di Toscana www.terraditoscana.com

Towns of the area

7 / 35

Camporgiano

Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 2.463

The municipal territory of Camporgiano in the Garfagnana extends for 27,10 square kilometres at the base of the inner slopes of the Alpi Apuane, occupying a long tract of the high valley of the river Serchio.

In Medieval times the territory of Camporgiano was a tangle of ecclesiastic and secular domains subjected to continual aggressions and frequent exchanges between Lucca and Pisa. In XIII century the Lucca republic took possession of the territory and in 1272 there was the first mention of a Lucca Vicariate at Camporgiano. This Vicariate which comprised fifty five communities was maintained during the Lordship of Castruccio Castracani, but during the Pisa dominion of Lucca it was relieved of forty castles, sold in 1341 by the Marquis Spinetta Malaspina to the Fiorentini. In the redistribution of the Gafagnana community in 1371, Camporgiano, returned under the authority of Lucca and was reconfirmed Vicariate capital with jurisdiction over twenty three communities. In 1434 it passed to the Fiorentini and again to Lucca in 1441, and finally under the power of Leonello d’Este (1446). The domination of d’Este, interrupted in favour of Lucca in 1512 and again during the principality of Elisa Baciocchi Bonaparte (1806-1814), remained until 1860. On that date Camporgiano like the other Garfagnanini communities was aggregated to the province of Massa, where it remained until 1923. Among its illustrious sons are the historian Francesco Lemmi (1876-1947) and the scientist Francesco Vecchiacchi (1902-1958). During the Nazi occupation Camporgiano was chosen by the Germans for the Seat of their Special Department and the population suffered reprisals round ups and deportations.

Places to visit:
The Fort, ponderous surrounding walls from the 1400s. The Civic Collection of Renaissance Ceramics is hosted in one of the towers

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford


Terraditoscana © Polimedia - All rights reserved
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia - P.IVA 05575950489