Terra di Toscana www.terraditoscana.com

Towns of the area

2 / 7

Cantagallo

Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 2.536

The municipal territory of Cantagallo extends for 94,92 square kilometres between the right side of the Bisenzio and the western Limentra valley, on territory mostly mountainous, on the spur of the Appenninica chain. Feudal land, it was instituted as Seat of the community by Grand Duke Pietro Leopoldo in 1774; it reached its present day aspect in 1984 with the aggregation of an area taken from the municipality of Barberino di Mugello.
The town of Cantagallo, with its Alpine aspect, overlooked by a chain of mountains which almost hide it, seems to have also been hidden for centuries from the great events of history. Little is the news which comes down to us about this town and the districts of its territory. Until the XIV century it was the dominion of a small local feudal group, the Nobles of Cantagallo, vassals to the Vernio Counts, then it became part of the Firenze jurisdiction. On the contrary, in the Medieval the capital Luicciana was under the civil and political jurisdiction of Pistoia and had the Seat of Podesta office of the Val di Bisenzio, as is shown in certain documents from the end of the 1300s. Another locality of a certain historical importance is Trebbio (in ancient times Treppio), in the Medieval it was Seat of a parish church dependent to the diocese of Bologna and object of a long dispute between Pistoia and the Holy See, a dispute terminated with the acquisition of Trebbio and other surrounding castles by Pistoia in 1319, in the times of the Grand Duchy there was a customs house at Trebbio.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford


Terraditoscana © Polimedia - All rights reserved
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia - P.IVA 05575950489