Inhabitants in 1991: 43.874
territory of Capannori which occupies an area of 156,60 square kilometres,
extends partly in the plain to the south of Lucca until the northern slopes
of Monte Pisano, and between the hilly offshoots of the Pistoia Apennine.
It suffered numerous changes to its borders over the years: after
having received in 1884 a portion of territory detached from the municipality
of Lucca, and having ceded in 1913 the district of Porcari, constituted
in autonomous municipality, it reached its final present day aspect
in 1925, when the district of Badia Pozzeveri was detached and aggregated
to the municipality of Altopascio .
Capannori, recorded for the first time in a document of 745,
when a Lombardo clerical established his residence there ”in finibus
Lucensis loco dicto Capannole” where he founded a chapel and
a hospice named for San Quirico, maintained always under the jurisdiction
of Lucca, whose historic fate they followed. It indeed was part
of the commissariat of the Sei Miglia, becoming the Seat from 1673.
Capannori was the birthplace of architect Lorenzo Nottolini (1787-1851),
the physics inventor Felice Matteucci (1808-1887) and the explorer
Carlo Piaggia (1827-1882).
Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford