Terra di Toscana www.terraditoscana.com

Towns of the area

5 / 20

Capoliveri

Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 2.435

The municipal territory extends for 39,51 square kilometres on the hilly crest of the south eastern part of the Island of Elba. Autonomous municipality from 1906 with the aggregation of two districts detached from the municipality of Porto Azzurro.

Grown up in an area rich with archaeological testimonies of Roman era, Capoliveri is cited from the XIII century when it was Seat of a plebeian church. Fortified by Pisa it passed at the end of the 1300s under the Piombinese Lords degli Appiani. In 1500s it suffered repeated assaults by the Saracen pirates. From the XVII century it was part of the Longone community (then Porto Longone and now Porto Azzurro), founded by the Spanish: they maintained the government until 1801, the year in which the King of Napoli transferred the territory to the French, who already dominated throughout Toscana and in part of the Island of Elba. In 1815, after the defeat of Napoleon, Capoliveri was annexed to the Grand Duchy of Toscana, of which it remained part until the Unity of Italy.

Places to visit:
Sanctuary of Madonna delle Grazie, 1500 construction.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford


Terraditoscana © Polimedia - All rights reserved
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia - P.IVA 05575950489