Home Cuisine Landscape and nature Architecture and art Sport Accommodation Visiting Gadget Learning Arts and Crafts The way we were Organized tours Home Cucina Paesaggio e natura Arti e Mestieri Sport Accoglienza Visitare Gadget A scuola di... Architettura e arte Come eravamo Tour organizzati
Italiano
English
Visiting
Visiting
Visita il Mugello, culla dei medici, a due passi da Firenze e le bellezze toscane
 

Visiting Tuscany

 

 
 

Towns of the area

6 / 39

Capolona

Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991 : 4,344

The Municipal territory of Capolona extends for 47,37 square kilometres in the Valdarno of Arezzo on the borders of Pratomagno. Constructed around a X century Abbey, it reached its present form in 1845, when, the hamlets of Lorenzano, previously part of the municipality of Castel Focognano, and Baciano part of Subbiano, were combined there, together with several territories which had been assigned to the municipality of Talla.

The earliest mention of Campus Leonis and Caput leonis - later corrupted to Capolona - comes from 943, in a deed of confirmation of a property of a certain Bernardo, Noble of Arezzo, on behalf of the Emperors Ugo and Lotario. The original nucleus around which rose Capolona was probably the Abbey of San Gennaro in Campo Leonis, founded in 972 by the Marquis Ugo di Toscana and his wife Giuditta and put under the protection of Emperors Ottone III, Carrado II and Arrigo III who endowed it with goods and the jurisdiction over several of the castles and courts in the diocese of Arezzo. In 1241 the Arezzo military besieged Capolona and destroyed it, forcing the Abbott to surrender all the castles and lands subjected to him, to the municipality. Passed under the dominion of the Tarlati di Pietramala, in 1384, after the capitulation of the Arezzo territories to Firenze, it became part of the Fiorentino Republic. In 1527 it was devastated by the army of Carlo di Borbone, General of the Emperor Carlo V.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford

 
 
 
   
 
return to top of page
   
       
  Terra di Toscana

© All rights reserved Polimedia di Laura Fumoni
Via Landucci 39 - 50136 - Firenze - P.IVA 05575950489 - REA C.C.I.A.A. FIRENZE N. 559547
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia

 
  Advertising | About us | Contacts | Site search | Copyright - Disclaimer | Press Kit