Terra di Toscana www.terraditoscana.com

Towns of the area

9 / 35

Careggine

Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 754

The territory of Careggine in the Garfagnana, extends for 24,46 square kilometres on the sloping Apuano, occupying in part a tier of the right hand slopes of the river Edron which overlooks the artificial lake of Vagli.

Careggine, cited with its parish church in ecclesiastic documents of Lucca in VIII century was dominated by the da Careggine, local Lords who had had power over the most part of the Gargagnana Apuana since the XIII century. From XV century it belonged to the Estensi and with the exception of the Napoleonic period, remained under their authority until the annexation to the realm of Italy, when with the other towns of the Garfagnana it was aggregated to the province of Massa where it remained until 1923.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford


Terraditoscana © Polimedia - All rights reserved
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia - P.IVA 05575950489