Home Cuisine Landscape and nature Architecture and art Sport Accommodation Visiting Gadget Learning Arts and Crafts The way we were Organized tours Home Cucina Paesaggio e natura Arti e Mestieri Sport Accoglienza Visitare Gadget A scuola di... Architettura e arte Come eravamo Tour organizzati
Italiano
English
Visiting
Visiting
Visita il Mugello, culla dei medici, a due passi da Firenze e le bellezze toscane
 

Visiting Tuscany

 

 
 

Towns of the area

5 / 36

Casole d’Elsa

Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 2.568

The municipal territory of Casole extends for 148,63 square kilometres on the hills of the high Val d’Elsa. The community had its origins as a Medieval Episcopal feudal from the IX century; a free municipality it was raised to autonomous community in 1777.
It must have been inhabited in remote times because Etruscan burial grounds have been discovered there, but the first historic mention of Casole was in the year 896, when Adalberto Marquis di Toscana, conceded it in feudal to the Bishop of Volterra, whose jurisdiction on the castle was confirmed in 1186 by Enrico VI. But already from the first decade of the XIII century Casole was organised in free municipality with its own consuls (later with a Podesta) and its own council, while contemporarily Siena’s interference grew and they sent in a garrison of troops. Occupied for a brief period by the Fiorentini in 1259, with the treaty of Castelfiorentino which followed the battle of Montaperti in 1260, Casole passed officially under the Siena dominion. After a series of rebellions against the Siena government, the first when it was passed to Arrigo VII in 1313, the last in 1352 at the fall of the regime of the “Nove”, the council of Siena decided, in 1359, to fortify the castle. Conquered by the Fiorentino army in 1479, Casole became the possession of Siena with whom it remained until 1554 when besieged by the Imperial army, it surrendered and became part of the Mediceo Duchy.

Places to visit:
The Fortress, with a 1300s Keep successively remodelled ; it is now the Seat of the Town Council.
Museum of Sacred Art, which also includes an archaeological section.
Collegiate, built in XII century and has been restored more than once over the centuries. Its interior holds among other works of art a masterpiece by Marco Ronamo (1300).

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford

 
 
 
   
 
return to top of page
   
       
  Terra di Toscana

© All rights reserved Polimedia di Laura Fumoni
Via Landucci 39 - 50136 - Firenze - P.IVA 05575950489 - REA C.C.I.A.A. FIRENZE N. 559547
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia

 
  Advertising | About us | Contacts | Site search | Copyright - Disclaimer | Press Kit