Terra di Toscana www.terraditoscana.com

Towns of the area

8 / 39

Castel Focognano

Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991 : 3,343

The Municipal territory of Castel Focognano extends over an area of 56,61 square kilometres, in the Valdarno Casentinese on a spur of the Pratomagno. A feudal centre and then Podesta office from the beginning of the XV century, remained thus until Pietro Leopoldo ordered the transfer of the Podesta to Rassina which since then has assumed the dignity of capital and obtained the position of municipality. It became a community in 1776 reaching is present aspect in 1809 with the creation of the “mairies” when the hamlets of Talla, Bagno, Bicciano, Pieve, Campovecchio, Pontenano, Capraia were detached to form the new community of Talla.

The first historical mention of Castel Focognano, comes from a document signed by Bishop Tedaldo of Arezzo in 1028, when half of a wood in that very location was assigned to the Abbey of Santa Flora and Lucilla. Later the Ubertini exercised their feudal rights when, threatened by the Bishop of Arezzo Guido Tarlati, they asked help in vain from the Fiorentina Republic.  Fallen into the hands of the Tarlati in 1322 the castle remained in the possession of Arezzo until 1353, when based on a treaty between the Fiorentina Republic and the Duke of Milano allied to Arezzo, it returned to its antique feudal Lords. At the end of the XIV century it passed directly under the jurisdiction of the Fiorentina Republic, becoming the Seat of a Podesta.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford


Terraditoscana © Polimedia - All rights reserved
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia - P.IVA 05575950489