Terra di Toscana www.terraditoscana.com

Towns of the area

11 / 39

Castiglion Fibocchi

Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991 : 1,731

The Municipal territory of Castiglion Fibocchi extends over an area of 25,70 square kilometres in the Arezzo Valdarno from the south eastern borders of Pratomagno to the plains of Arezzo, on the edge of terraced land. A feudal centre it was made community in 1774.

Castiglion Fibocchi was originally the feudal of the Counts Guidi who, in the XII century ceded it to the Pazzi di Valdarno family :more precisely to one of their members Ottaviano, called Bocco and found in the origins of the name of the community, Castillione Filiorum Bocchi. Imperial certificates by Arrigo VI in 1191 and Federico II in 1220 confirm the possession of this castle by the Pazzi. It became part of the district of Arezzo, Castiglion Fibocchi came into the possession of Firenze in 1384, in 1664 it was ceded as feudal by Ferdinando II to the Marchese Alessandro Dal Borro, General and Admiral in the service of the Republic of Venezia, and remained with his heirs until the definitive abolition of feudal rights in the Grand Duchy.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford


Terraditoscana © Polimedia - All rights reserved
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia - P.IVA 05575950489