Terra di Toscana www.terraditoscana.com

Towns of the area

13 / 39

Cavriglia

Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991 : 6,740

Cavriglia extends for 60.91square kilometres in Valdarno Superore occupying the slopes of Monti del Chianti and a terraced plateau on the left bank of the Arno . It had community rights since 1774 but reached in present configuration in 1811, when it incorporated all the “popoli” (masses) who had been part of the Lega d’Avane, previously associated to the community of San Giovanni Valdarno, to whom the same Cavriglia previously belonged.
Cavriglia, settlement with confirmed Roman origins (it seems almost certain that its territory was in ancient times probably crossed by the road which unites this part of Valdarno to the Val di Greve), mentions of it are found from the first years of the XI century in certain papers relative to the donation of houses, courts, land and estates positioned in the parish of San Giovanni at Cavriglia, made by members of the Firidolfi-Ricasoli to the Coltibuono and Passignano Abbeys ; and these Lords of noble birth continued to maintain a prominent role upon Cavriglia for centuries. An aggressively aware union among the workers of the brown coal mines of Castelnuovo dei Sabbioni brought victory to the socialist united front in the administrative elections of 1920. The democratic forces were severely repressed during the following twenty years and the inhabitants of this zone during the Nazi occupation underwent violent reprisals culminating in July 1944 with the massacre of more than two hundred civilians between Castelnuovo dei Sabbioni and Meleto : for this the Standard of Cavriglia was decorated with the bronze Military Valour medal.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford


Terraditoscana © Polimedia - All rights reserved
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia - P.IVA 05575950489