Home Cuisine Landscape and nature Architecture and art Sport Accommodation Visiting Gadget Learning Arts and Crafts The way we were Organized tours Home Cucina Paesaggio e natura Arti e Mestieri Sport Accoglienza Visitare Gadget A scuola di... Architettura e arte Come eravamo Tour organizzati
Italiano
English
Visiting
Visiting
Visita il Mugello, culla dei medici, a due passi da Firenze e le bellezze toscane
 

Visiting Tuscany

 

 
 

Towns of the area

8 / 20

Cecina

Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 24.635

Situated in high Maremma, the municipal territory extends for 42,94 square kilometres in an alluvial plain crossed by the last tract of the same name river and along ten or so kilometres of coast. It was constituted in autonomous municipality in 1906, with the detachment of the municipal of Bibbona, of which it had become capital since 1881.

Archaeological digs from the 1800s and more recent times have proven that the territory was inhabited in the Etruscan and Roman eras, while according to tradition, the foundation of a villa on the place of the present day town should be of the Etruscan family Volterrana dei Cecina. In the Dark Ages the city of Cecina, as many others in the northern Maremma, were placed under the Lordship of the Gherardesca, but in the XII century after a long controversy concluding with an Imperial ruling (1121) it became almost entirely the possession of the Bishop of Pisa. It is presumably from this era that the decline started, determined above all by the fact that the water regime of the Cecina, no longer regulated, turned the territory into a marshland, with the consequent augmentation of malaria and the turning of the once fertile land into a wilderness. Until the XVIII century the site – practically abandoned – saw sporadic attempts of land reclaims: the most important were those of the Medicei finished in 1500s (construction of a little port, a bridge, an ironworks and a farmhouse) and that of the Marquis Ginori, who acquired the farm in 1738. Only with the profound reclamation works undertaken by Leopoldo II in 1833 did the zone start to rapidly repopulate. Between the end of the 1800s and the beginning of the 1900s the village settled on the via Emilia and touched by the Livorno to Vada railway, revealed a growing economic and social dynamism which turned into a booming political, cultural and labour association: co-operatives were born, the Public Assistance was constituted and a theatre and arena for summer spectacles were created . The fortune of Marina di Cecina also began to be outlined in that, as documented the romances of Carlo Cassola, in the 1930s it was already affirmed as a summer resort. In the last war the centre of Cecina was destroyed by two thirds, but reconstruction work was rapid.

Places to visit:
The Archaeological Park of San Vincenzino, in the immediate neighbourhood of Cecina there have come to light important ruins of a vast complex from the Roman era.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford

 
 
 
   
 
return to top of page
   
       
  Terra di Toscana

© All rights reserved Polimedia di Laura Fumoni
Via Landucci 39 - 50136 - Firenze - P.IVA 05575950489 - REA C.C.I.A.A. FIRENZE N. 559547
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia

 
  Advertising | About us | Contacts | Site search | Copyright - Disclaimer | Press Kit