Terra di Toscana www.terraditoscana.com

Towns of the area

10 / 36

Chianciano Terme

Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 7.445

The municipal territory of Cianciano extends for 36,52 square kilometres on the hilly rise of the Val di Chiana. Feudal centre then free municipality.

The first sure mention of Chianciano goes back to 1139. Between the end of the XII century and the start of the XIII the Counts Manenti di Sarteano were Lords of the castle, being favourable to Siena who reclaimed the control and inserted it into their own county against the expansionistic aims of Orvieto. The successful start of the Siena forces, who in 1230 conquered Chanciano, was thwarted two years later by the offensive of the Orvietini, allied with Firenze who obtained the restitution of the castle; Chianciano was organised in municipality with its own jurisdiction and statutes and already in this first drafting in 1287, the organisation of the thermal baths of Sellena were referred to. The caste remained annexed to the Orvieto territory until almost the middle of the 1300s; but in 1347, coincidental with the declining Orvieto politics, Chianciano made an act of submission to Siena; the disputes were not however destined to finish because from this moment and for the whole of the 1400s, Montepulciano also laid claim to it. Maintaining itself anyway under the Siena Sovereignty though they fought for their own autonomy even at the beginning of the 1500s, it became part of the Medico State in 1556 at the end of the war of Siena during which it was razed and ransacked.

Places to visit:
Fucoli Park, Sacred Water Park, in which there are thermal fonts, with the relative structures, together with the Sorgente Sant’Elena, they are all located in the thermal area.
Civic Museum, where the archaeological finds coming from the neighbourhood are exhibited.
Collegiate Museum, hosted in the Palazzo dell’Arcipretura, and composed of a small collection of works from the Siena and Fiorentina schools.
S. Giovanni Battista, 1200 collegiate with its façade in Travertino stone.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford


Terraditoscana © Polimedia - All rights reserved
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia - P.IVA 05575950489