Home Cuisine Landscape and nature Architecture and art Sport Accommodation Visiting Gadget Learning Arts and Crafts The way we were Organized tours Home Cucina Paesaggio e natura Arti e Mestieri Sport Accoglienza Visitare Gadget A scuola di... Architettura e arte Come eravamo Tour organizzati
Italiano
English
Visiting
Visiting
Visita il Mugello, culla dei medici, a due passi da Firenze e le bellezze toscane
 

Visiting Tuscany

 

 
 

Towns of the area

11 / 36

Chiusdino

Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 1.922

The municipal territory of Chiusdino extends for 141, 81 square kilometres on the hills which surround the high valley of the Merse river. It had its origins as an Episcopal feudal; it became seat of the community in 1777 with the Leopoldina reforms.

Already an important castle at the beginning of the XII century, Chiusdino was feudal to the Bishop of Volterra, but already in this era the Counts of Forsini and the Abbey of Serena laid claim to the rights over it; in 1137 even Siena, through its Bishop, acquired a part together with half the castle of Montieri with the silver mines, claiming, on the basis of this first acquisition the right to full jurisdiction on Chiusdino. After having subjugated the Frosini Counts and the other local Nobles, in 1215 Siena obtained from the Bishop of Volterra, the recognition of their dominion on the land and in 1230 Chiusdino was definitively aggregated by the Siena republic to its territory. The Construction of the Cistercense Abbey of San Galgano also goes back to the first years of the XIII century, and for three centuries it was centre of great importance both religious and economic.

Places to visit:
Church of San Galgano, constructed in 1224 in Gothic Scistercense style where there was the Seat of one of the most important and powerful Toscana Monasteries. Today only the imposing and evocative ruins remain.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford

 
 
 
   
 
return to top of page
   
       
  Terra di Toscana

© All rights reserved Polimedia di Laura Fumoni
Via Landucci 39 - 50136 - Firenze - P.IVA 05575950489 - REA C.C.I.A.A. FIRENZE N. 559547
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia

 
  Advertising | About us | Contacts | Site search | Copyright - Disclaimer | Press Kit