Inhabitants in 1991: 1.922
municipal territory of Chiusdino extends for 141, 81 square kilometres
on the hills which surround the high valley of the Merse river. It
had its origins as an Episcopal feudal; it became seat of the community
in 1777 with the Leopoldina reforms.
Already an important castle at the beginning of the XII century,
Chiusdino was feudal to the Bishop of Volterra, but already in
this era the Counts of Forsini and the Abbey of Serena laid claim to the
rights over it; in 1137 even Siena, through its Bishop, acquired a part
together with half the castle of Montieri with the silver mines,
claiming, on the basis of this first acquisition the right to full jurisdiction
on Chiusdino. After having subjugated the Frosini Counts and the other
local Nobles, in 1215 Siena obtained from the Bishop of Volterra, the
recognition of their dominion on the land and in 1230 Chiusdino was
definitively aggregated by the Siena republic to its territory. The
Construction of the Cistercense Abbey of San Galgano also goes
back to the first years of the XIII century, and for three centuries it
was centre of great importance both religious and economic.
|Places to visit:
Church of San Galgano, constructed in 1224 in Gothic Scistercense
style where there was the Seat of one of the most important and powerful
Toscana Monasteries. Today only the imposing and evocative ruins remain.
Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford