Terra di Toscana www.terraditoscana.com

Towns of the area

6 / 17

Comano

Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 860

Situated in the high Valley of the river Taverone, on the spur of the Camporaghena Alpe, the municipal territory extends for 54,67 square kilometres and borders with the province of Reggio Emilia and Parma, from whom it is separated by the Appenninica chain. It was constituted as autonomous municipality in 1919.

A castle until the IX century under the Lordship of the Marquis Adalberti, who was the originator of the Estensi and Malaspina families, Comano was successively placed under the jurisdiction of the Abbey of Aulla, Conceded in 1077 by Arrigo IV to the Estensi Marquises, it was ceded by them with other Lunigiana centres to the Malaspina in 1202. In 1275 at the division of the Malaspina in diverse branches it went by heredity to Gabriello together with Fivizzano, from whom it depended for jurisdiction and administration, and shared its fate until the Unity of Italy.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford


Terraditoscana © Polimedia - All rights reserved
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia - P.IVA 05575950489