Terra di Toscana www.terraditoscana.com

Towns of the area

12 / 35

Coreglia Antelminelli

Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 4.866

The municipal territory extends for 52,78 square kilometres on the left slope of the Valle del Serchio, from the foothills along the river as far al Monte Rondinaio. Lordly land, it was the Vicariate Seat in 1272.

The first mention of Coreglia goes back to the X century: numbered among the “Villas” dependent to the parish church of Loppia, in Barghigiano, over whom the Rolandinghi exercised jurisdiction. In 1272 it was placed under the municipality of Lucca. It assumed notable importance, even strategically, during the times of Castruccio, and exactly in these years it was entrusted to the Antelminelli family with whom it stayed for over a century, except for a brief interval with the Fiorentini from 1340 to 1342, and was even raised to County by the Emperor Carlo IV. After various events, in 1441, with all its dependant territory, it returned under Lucca, dividing with it its destiny until the unity of Italy. Distinguished by a phase of growth during the 1500 (the urban actions undertaken in the Medieval are still recognisable today), it knew in the following century a demographic crisis which coincided with the emigration of the “figurinai” (celebrated makers of plaster statues), and then with the abandonment of the countryside.

Places to visit:
Civic Museum of the Plaster statues and the emigration, hosted in Palazzo Vanni a collection of numerous plaster objects, and documents relative to the emigrated “figurinai”

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford


Terraditoscana © Polimedia - All rights reserved
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia - P.IVA 05575950489