Inhabitants in 1991: 3.241
municipal territory extends for 26,97 square kilometres in a hilly region
between the Val d’Era and the valley ridge of Collesalvetti. It
was autonomous municipality from 1902 with the aggregation of the
districts of Crespina, Tripalle and Cenaia detached from Fauglia.
Mentioned since the X century as castle placed under the jurisdiction
of the Pisa Diocese, Crespina passed under that of Lucca in 1115.
Occupied by the troops of the Pisa republic in 1165, it was restored to
Lucca ten years later, but for a brief period, since in the XIII century
it resulted as being included in the Pisa Captaincy of Colline Inferiori.
During the XIV century it suffered repeated devastation and destruction
by the Firenze troops at war with Pisa, the most important of these
was the knocking down of the fortress in 1332. In 1405 after a
long siege, it was conquered by the Fiorentini, who also successively
had to maintain their dominion with arms, as is demonstrated by the attempted
rebellion, concluded with the pulling down of the castle and the fortress,
verified in 1431 during the expedition of Piccinino, commander of the
army of the Duke of Milano at war with Firenze. Declared capital of
Podesta office dependent of the Vicariate of Lari from 1415, it came
under the jurisdiction of the Captaincy of Livorno in 1680. It
was annexed in 1776 to the municipality of Fauglia and remained under
that administration until the beginning of the 1900s. In common with many
other municipalities in the Pisa province, Crespina was characterised
from the first years of the 1900s by a strong socialist presence and
it opposed the arrival and penetration of Fascism.
|Places to visit:
S. Michele, ancient church which holds a precious tablet by
Bernardo Daddi and other works of art.
Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford