Inhabitants in 1991: 1.827
municipal territory of Cutigliano, on the mountain of the high Val di
Lima, extends for 43,82 square kilometres. It was already Capital
of the surrounding area in the late Middle Ages, it became
Seat of the community with the Leopoldino regulation of the XVIII century.
It reached its present day aspect in 1979 with the aggregation
of a small uninhabited area detached from the municipality of San Marcello
Pistoiese, after a portion of the territory was detached to form a new
autonomous municipality of Abetone in 1936.
The town of Cutigliano, which legend has as being founded from the
survivors escaping from the defeated army of Catilina in 63 B.C. (and
again from this arose a fantasy interpretation that it took the name of
Catilianum), presumably owed its development to the fact that it was a
stopping place on the Appenninica dell’Alpe alla Croce road
which connected, at least from the VIII century, the Pisotia plains to
the Modena area; It belonged to the jurisdiction of Lizzano until the
XIV century and then passed under the direct domino of Pistoia.
To the latter
it owes the creation of a new magistrature, the Captain of the Mountain
(1368), destined to co-ordinate the external defences and appease the
internal discords of the seven centres of the Pistoia mountains; This
rector resided in the Cutiglianese Pretoria Palace for six months of the
year and in San Marcello for the other six months. Cutigliano became
part of the Fiorentina republic with the conquest of Pistoia at the beginning
of the 1400s, and from then has followed its fate, maintaining in
the Grand Duchy a role of strategic and administrative prominence.
|Places to visit:
S. Bartolomeo, church rebuilt
in the 1500s and several time remodelled.
Historical info reproduced upon authorization of
Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e
Picture by Sandro Santioli
Translated by Ann Mountford