Terra di Toscana www.terraditoscana.com

Towns of the area

13 / 35

Fabbriche di Vallico

Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 591

The territory of Fabbriche di Vallico in the Garfagnana, extends for 15,53 square kilometres along the valley of the river Turrite Cava, a righthand tributary of the Serchio, on the side of Monte Matanna.

Constituted in autonomous community in 1946, it reached its present day aspect in 1948, when the district of Trassilico was detached from it and aggregated to the municipality of Gallicano.
Fabbriche di Vallico originated from a convent of Agostiniani Romiti, the hermits of San Giorgio and Galgano at Vallebona, founded in 1214 on land donated by the community of Trassilico. Dominion of the Rolandinghi and the Porcaresi, in 1347 the community became part of the Lucca Vicariate of Gallicano, whose successive history it followed, first under the Estensi (1430-1451) then under Lucca and lastly from 1847 again under the Estensi.

Places to Visit:
Vallico di Sotto, small but intact Medieval hamlet.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford

Terraditoscana © Polimedia - All rights reserved
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia - P.IVA 05575950489