Terra di Toscana www.terraditoscana.com

Towns of the area

15 / 39

Fauglia

Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 2.873

Situated in a hilly region between the Val d’Era and the valley ridge of Collesalvetti, on a height flanked by two influxes of the Isola river, the municipal territory extends for 42,44 square kilometres. It became autonomous municipality with the Leopoldini decrees, in 1902 it suffered a territorial reduction with the separation of Crespina, Cenaia and Tripalle, destined to form the autonomous municipality of Crespina.

A castle under the Lordship of the local Favulia family, of which the first news goes back to the XI century, Fauglia was noted later as being placed under the political dominion of the Pisa republic. It rebelled against Pisa in 1345 on the instigation of Gabriello della Gherardesca Pisa Vicar of the Colline Superiori, who affirmed the Lordship of this great family of Counts. Conquered and removed from the della Gherardesca by Pisa, it remained under their power until 1406 when, after a brief siege, Firenze took it over with all the surrounding region. Fauglia rebelled in 1431 on the occasion of the arrival of Piccinino Commander of the army of the Duke of Milano, it was reconqured immediately and two years later deprived of its walls. It remained stable under the Lordship of Firenze, and shared its fate, passing firstly under the government of the Duchy and then the Grand Duchy, until the Unity of Italy.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford


Terraditoscana © Polimedia - All rights reserved
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia - P.IVA 05575950489