Inhabitants in 1991: 15.699
municipal territory of Figline extends for 71,68 square kilometres essentially
in the plains of Valdarno Superiore. Ancient Medieval Podesta Office
of notable importance, it reached its present day territorial aspect
in 1851 when Incisa was raised to municipality.
The origins of today's Figline goes back to the middle of
the XIII century, but previously there existed a castle on the opposite
hills, the first Lords were the feudal Lords Ubertini da
Gaville. the importance of the ancient fortified nucleus
must have been notable if it is true that in 1175 it was planned
(but never came to be) to transfer the Fiesola diocese there. In 1198
"Old Figline" came under the jurisdiction of the Firenze municipality,
but it was a subjugation with frequent rebellious episodes: the last of
which came in 1252 when, because of the sanctuary offered to the
Ghibellini turned out of Firenze, the castle was besieged and forced
to surrender; this convinced the Fiorentini to raze to the ground
the walls and the houses of the insubordinate Valdarnesi. Several
families were forced to urbanize, the others forced to reconstruct
their houses in the plains where there was already a developing market.
The new village remained without walls until 1357, when Firenze
itself decided to wall it to safeguard the role of "granary of the
city of Firenze, for the abundance of grain which occurred
continually in that market" (Matteo Villani). The imposing walls,
were finished in 1390 but that did not stop Figline from suffering
other bloody raids, above all by the companies of adventurers.
In modern times it followed the events of the Fiorentino capital and nothing
in particular was recorded except the rebellious episode to the French
domination in May of 1799, and the participation of numerous Figline
people in the "Viva Maria" movement. Incisa was annexed to the municipality
of Figline, first grade Podesta Office, from 1822 to 1851. Among its illustrious
citizens was honoured Marsilio Ficino.
|Places to visit:
Piazza Marsilio Ficino, elegant,
surrounded by porticos, a typical example of a Market square.
Serristori Hospital, the villa of S. Cerbone, has an internal
ambience of an ancient pharmacy where Majolica vases for the XVI-XIX
S. Maria, collegiate founded in 1257, over
the course of the centuries has suffered several transformations,
the last in 1933. the single nave interior preserves precious works
of art. Other masterpieces are preserved in the adjoining Collegiate
S. Francesco already documented in 1229 and
reconstructed in the 1300s, it is preceded by a portico which unites
it to the convent. Inside there is a stucco Madonna col Bambino painted
by the Ghiberti studio.
Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford