in 1991: 21.353
municipal territory extends for 55,84 square kilometres in the northern
part of the province. Comprising a flat and sandy coastal zone and a hilly
hinterland. The capital faces onto the gulf of the same name. It
was constituted in autonomous municipality in 1920 separating itself
from Massa Marittima. In 1970 the hamlet of Lido di Follonica was detached
from the municipality of Piombino and aggregated to Follonica.
There is scarce note relating to the ancient history of Follonica, at
least it was inserted in the principality of Appiani di Piombino
at the end of 1400 and situated in a marshy and unhealthy location. Its
importance seems to be tied exclusively to the presence of a small
foundry owned by the Piombinesi Lords, passed then in rental to the
Grand Duchy of Toscana, enlarged in 1577 with the construction of a smelting
history of the settlement saw a turn in 1836 when the Grand Duchy Foundries
were installed around that which had been the ancient Medicei furnaces.
The initiative gave a strong thrust to the population of the area
and already by the middle of the century there were present institutes
for the formation of personnel and an assistance structure.
|Places to visit:
Civil Picture Gallery, interesting
collection of works of artists from various eras.
which documents the foundry activity of the area
di Pian d’Alma, to the south east of the town can be found
two tombs with rooms and sepulchre from VII-VI century B.C.
Leopoldo. Parochial from 1800s constructed with the original use
of cast iron. Has an elegant interior rich with works of art.
Historical info reproduced upon authorization
of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi
Picture by Sandro Santioli
Translated by Ann Mountford