Home Cuisine Landscape and nature Architecture and art Sport Accommodation Visiting Gadget Learning Arts and Crafts The way we were Organized tours Home Cucina Paesaggio e natura Arti e Mestieri Sport Accoglienza Visitare Gadget A scuola di... Architettura e arte Come eravamo Tour organizzati
Italiano
English
Visiting
Visiting
Visita il Mugello, culla dei medici, a due passi da Firenze e le bellezze toscane
 

Visiting Tuscany

 

 
 

Towns of the area

15 / 35

Fosciandora

Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 692

The municipal territory of Fosciandora extends for 19,82 square kilometres on the left slope of the middle valley of the Serchio, in an elevated position dominated by the Appenninica chain on the shoulder of the settlement, and opposite the Alpi Apuane.

Formed, other than the Capital by five districts, the municipal territory has seen extremely active historic events. After having been part of the Lucca dominion, as shown in a citizens statute of 1308, in precision from the Vicariate of Castiglione di Garfagnana, it was divided in 1451 between the two bordering States: the centres of Lupinaia, Riana and Treppignano remaining with Lucca while those of Migliano, Fosciandora and Ceserana (castle belonging before the year 1000 to the Rolandinghi family) passed to Firenze and then in 1451 to the Duke of Ferrara Borso d’Este, thus constituting the Vicariate of the Terre Nuove. The unity of the territory was reconstituted in 1846 with the creation of the municipality of Fosciandora.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford

 
 
 
   
 
return to top of page
   
       
  Terra di Toscana

© All rights reserved Polimedia di Laura Fumoni
Via Landucci 39 - 50136 - Firenze - P.IVA 05575950489 - REA C.C.I.A.A. FIRENZE N. 559547
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia

 
  Advertising | About us | Contacts | Site search | Copyright - Disclaimer | Press Kit