Terra di Toscana www.terraditoscana.com

Towns of the area

11 / 28

Gavorrano

Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 7.951

The municipal territory of Gavorrano extends for 164,04 square kilometres in a hilly zone in the north western Maremma. Originally a Medieval Podesta Office comprising within the borders of its community Vetulonia and Tirli, aggregated in 1832 to the new community of Castiglione della Pescaia, and Scarlino, detaching itself in 1960 to form an autonomous municipality.

The first historic mention of Gavorrano goes back to 1164, when Emperor Federico I Barbarossa confirmed, in a privilege, the possession of the castle to the Counts Alberti di Mangona. Towards the middle of the XII century, with the death of Count Rainaldo degli Alberti, this passed in succession to the Counts Pannocchieschi of the Elci branch, under whose dominion it was temporarily occupied in 1271 by the Ghibellini exiling from Siena. Subsequently the Pannocchieschi subjugated the castle to the authority of the municipal of Volterra, but also sold a part of their rights to Malavolti of Siena. In the 1300s Massa and Siena exercised contrasting attempts at dominance over the territory: and the first managed to acquire the dominion between 1328 and 1329; but a few years later, with the subordination of Massa to the republic of Siena (1335), Gavorrano entered decisively in the political orbit of the latter. Until 1465 however, it was the Malavolti who with alternating fortunes (in 1390 Gavorrano passed momentarily in partnership with the Firenze republic and in 1450 it was occupied by the troops of Alfonso d’Aragona, King of Napoli), maintained the effective control of the castle.

Subsequently the community followed the Siena republic. Of historic interest there are also Giuncarico, Ravi and Castle di Pietra during the Medieval included in the Aldobrandesca county but subjected to the direct dominion of the Pannocchieschi. During the resistance the partisan formation “gruppo Tirli” operated in the area and on 11 June 1944 occupied the town centre. Gavorrano is the birth place of the writer and patriot Giuseppe Bandi (1834-1894).

Places to visit:
S. Giuliano, 1300s parochial enlarged and remade in the subsequent centuries, it holds a precious Madonna col Bambino by Giovanni di Agostino.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford


Terraditoscana © Polimedia - All rights reserved
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia - P.IVA 05575950489