Home Cuisine Landscape and nature Architecture and art Sport Accommodation Visiting Gadget Learning Arts and Crafts The way we were Organized tours Home Cucina Paesaggio e natura Arti e Mestieri Sport Accoglienza Visitare Gadget A scuola di... Architettura e arte Come eravamo Tour organizzati
Italiano
English
Visiting
Visiting
Visita il Mugello, culla dei medici, a due passi da Firenze e le bellezze toscane
 

Visiting Tuscany

 

 
 

Towns of the area

17 / 39

Lajatico

Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 1.475

The territory extends for 72.50 square kilometres on the top and slopes of a hillock to include part of the plain land, at the influx of the river Sterza with the river Era. In 1869 there were aggregated the districts of Orciatico and Spedaletto detached from the municipalities of Volterra and Montecatini Val di Cecina. It is a municipality with Leopoldina origins.

There was no sure news about Lajatico (in olden times called Ajatico), apart from some archaeological finds which testify to the presence of an Etruscan settlement, until the XII century, when it was the castle of the Counts Pannocchieschi d’Elci. Throughout the centuries they alienated various parts of their possession in favour of the Volterra Bishops, until, in 1186 the Count Ildebrando Lord and Bishop of Volterra, obtained the political jurisdiction from Enrico VI “King of the Romans”. Nevertheless, the possession of the castle was always an object of contestation with the Pisani who, dominating the surrounding area, refused to give up the privileges given to them in 1193 by the same Enrico VI when he became Emperor, and renewed later by Ottone IV in 1209 and Carlo IV in 1355. It passed temporarily under the control of Firenze between 1285 and 1293, and again in 1363, Lajatico became a stable part of the Fiorentino dominion in 1405, shortly before the conquest by Pisa. Conceded in 1644 by Ferdinando II in feudal with the title of Marquisate, to the noble Fiorentino Bartolommeo Corsini, it returned under the jurisdiction of the Grand Duchy in 1749 and was transformed in autonomous municipality in 1776. From then it followed the course of the Grand Duchy until the Unity of Italy.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford

 
 
 
   
 
return to top of page
   
       
  Terra di Toscana

© All rights reserved Polimedia di Laura Fumoni
Via Landucci 39 - 50136 - Firenze - P.IVA 05575950489 - REA C.C.I.A.A. FIRENZE N. 559547
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia

 
  Advertising | About us | Contacts | Site search | Copyright - Disclaimer | Press Kit