Inhabitants in 1991: 6.063
municipal territory of Larciano extends for 24,92 square kilometres in
the plains and medium hill of the western slopes of Monte Albano to the
marshes of Fucecchio. Feudal centre then Seat of a Podesta office,
suppressed by the Leopoldine reform of 1772 and united to that of Serravalle,
it was built up in a single community with Lamporecchio in 1774; and finally
became autonomous municipality in 1897.
Larciano, of Roman origins, then a fortified centre, feudal to the
Guidi Counts until the middle of the X century and confirmed by certificates
of Arrigo VI and Federico II, was sold to Pisotia in 1226 by the
son of Count Guido Guerra di Modigliana for 6,000 lire. Situated not far
from the stretch of the via Francigena, an important military centre
for the defence of the Valdinievole and the protection of the goods which
went from the sea by river, Larciano was fortified by Pistoia with a robust
surrounding wall at the end of the 1200s. During the war in which
Firenze fought at the side of Lucca against Pistoia, it finished under
the dominion of Lucca from 1302 to 1310, the year in which it again came
into the possession of Pistoia for the high price of 10,000 gold florins.
Bastion of the Fiorentino and Pistoiese formation at the end of the 1300
against the Visconte threats, in 1401 it definitively became part of
the Fiorentina republic, who made it seat of one of the four Podesta
offices in the Pistoia county.
|Places to visit:
The surrounding walls of the
ancient village, the doors and the keep. All in an exceptional state
of preservation. In the fortification there is the Civic Museum,
with archaeological finds from the Prehistoric to the Medieval.
Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford