Home Cuisine Landscape and nature Architecture and art Sport Accommodation Visiting Gadget Learning Arts and Crafts The way we were Organized tours Home Cucina Paesaggio e natura Arti e Mestieri Sport Accoglienza Visitare Gadget A scuola di... Architettura e arte Come eravamo Tour organizzati
Italiano
English
Visiting
Visiting
Visita il Mugello, culla dei medici, a due passi da Firenze e le bellezze toscane
 

Visiting Tuscany

 

 
 

Towns of the area

8 / 22

Larciano

Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 6.063

The municipal territory of Larciano extends for 24,92 square kilometres in the plains and medium hill of the western slopes of Monte Albano to the marshes of Fucecchio. Feudal centre then Seat of a Podesta office, suppressed by the Leopoldine reform of 1772 and united to that of Serravalle, it was built up in a single community with Lamporecchio in 1774; and finally became autonomous municipality in 1897.

Larciano, of Roman origins, then a fortified centre, feudal to the Guidi Counts until the middle of the X century and confirmed by certificates of Arrigo VI and Federico II, was sold to Pisotia in 1226 by the son of Count Guido Guerra di Modigliana for 6,000 lire. Situated not far from the stretch of the via Francigena, an important military centre for the defence of the Valdinievole and the protection of the goods which went from the sea by river, Larciano was fortified by Pistoia with a robust surrounding wall at the end of the 1200s. During the war in which Firenze fought at the side of Lucca against Pistoia, it finished under the dominion of Lucca from 1302 to 1310, the year in which it again came into the possession of Pistoia for the high price of 10,000 gold florins. Bastion of the Fiorentino and Pistoiese formation at the end of the 1300 against the Visconte threats, in 1401 it definitively became part of the Fiorentina republic, who made it seat of one of the four Podesta offices in the Pistoia county.

Places to visit:
The surrounding walls of the ancient village, the doors and the keep. All in an exceptional state of preservation. In the fortification there is the Civic Museum, with archaeological finds from the Prehistoric to the Medieval.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford

 
 
 
   
 
return to top of page
   
       
  Terra di Toscana

© All rights reserved Polimedia di Laura Fumoni
Via Landucci 39 - 50136 - Firenze - P.IVA 05575950489 - REA C.C.I.A.A. FIRENZE N. 559547
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia

 
  Advertising | About us | Contacts | Site search | Copyright - Disclaimer | Press Kit