Terra di Toscana www.terraditoscana.com

Towns of the area

19 / 39

Laterina

Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991 : 3,310

The Municipal territory of Laterina in the Valdarno Superiore, extends for 24,01square kilometres, partly on the plain and partly hilly. In Roman times it was crossed by variants of the Via Cassia and in the Medieval times by the Arezzo Strada Maestra, it was a feudal centre, then a Podesta office, and became Seat of the community in 1774.

Laterina, at least in the first years of the XI century, was a feudal of Ubertini di Arezzo. Because of its strategic position it became the base for the departure of the raids by Arezzo’s Ghibellini in the Valdarno, it was occupied and policed by the Fiorentini in 1288 who armed it as a stronghold. In 1304 the Ubertini returned to power who, helped by both the Arezzo militia and the gang of the Pazzi del Valdarno, had besieged and conquered the castle. Destroyed in 1326 by Guido Tarlati ; in 1336 when he became elected Bishop of Arezzo, Buoso degli Ubertini consigned Laterina to the Fiorentini, who prudently rebuilt the stronghold. An attempt to re-conquer it by the Tarlati was repressed in 1347, and in 1384 it became a definitive possession of the Fiorentina republic.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford


Terraditoscana © Polimedia - All rights reserved
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia - P.IVA 05575950489