Inhabitants in 1991: 4.418
municipal territory extends for 55,96 square kilometres between the Appenninico
crest and the municipality of Podenzana which separates it from Liguria.
Comprising also the Valle del Taverone plain, where the capital is situated.
A castle under the Lordship of the Marquises of Malaspina di Villafrance,
in 1481 Licciana was inherited by Jacopo one of the five sons of the Marquis
Giovanni Spinetta, who successively retained the investiture.
Becoming like this an Imperial feudal, it remained to the descendents
of Jacopo until the extinction of the family line in 1778. It passed
under the dominion of the Estensi, dependent to the Duchy of Modena until
the Unity of Italy. Among the illustrious sons of Licciana Nardi must
be remembered the geographer Igino Cocchi (1827-1913), the union leader
Alceste De Ambris (1874-1934) and above all the patriot Anacarsi
Nardi (1800-1844), from whom the municipality has taken part of its
Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford