Home Cuisine Landscape and nature Architecture and art Sport Accommodation Visiting Gadget Learning Arts and Crafts The way we were Organized tours Home Cucina Paesaggio e natura Arti e Mestieri Sport Accoglienza Visitare Gadget A scuola di... Architettura e arte Come eravamo Tour organizzati
Italiano
English
Visiting
Visiting
Visita il Mugello, culla dei medici, a due passi da Firenze e le bellezze toscane
 

Visiting Tuscany

 

 
 

Towns of the area

19 / 39

Lorenzana

Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 1.030

The municipal territory of Lorenzana extends for 19,42 square kilometres in the high valley of the river Tora on the eastern slopes of the valley of Collesalvetti. It became autonomous municipality with the Leopoldine laws.

Under the Lordship of the Bishops of Pisa from the X century, a time when the first news about it was heard, Lorenzana was mentioned as a castle, in 1131, in an edict by Pope Innocenzi II. It passed under the dominion of the Pisa republic, and became part of the Captaincy of the Colline Superiori, whose capital was Lari. In 1406 it subjected itself to the Fiorentina republic and in 1416 drew up its statutes united to those of Crespina. Two uprisings, one in 1431 and one in 1494 tried in vain to get rid of the Fiorentini, who maintained the dominion. In 1722 Cosimo III conceded Lorenzana in feudal to the noble Fiorentino Francesco Lorenzi with the title of County. In 1783, with the dynasty extinct Francesco Orlando Lorenzi re-consigned it to the Grand Duchy, who shortly after raised it to autonomous community. It therefore followed the events of the Toscano State until the Unity of Italy.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford

 
 
 
   
 
return to top of page
   
       
  Terra di Toscana

© All rights reserved Polimedia di Laura Fumoni
Via Landucci 39 - 50136 - Firenze - P.IVA 05575950489 - REA C.C.I.A.A. FIRENZE N. 559547
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia

 
  Advertising | About us | Contacts | Site search | Copyright - Disclaimer | Press Kit