Home Cuisine Landscape and nature Architecture and art Sport Accommodation Visiting Gadget Learning Arts and Crafts The way we were Organized tours Home Cucina Paesaggio e natura Arti e Mestieri Sport Accoglienza Visitare Gadget A scuola di... Architettura e arte Come eravamo Tour organizzati
Italiano
English
Visiting
Visiting
Visita il Mugello, culla dei medici, a due passi da Firenze e le bellezze toscane
 

Visiting Tuscany

 

 
 

Towns of the area

20 / 39

Loro Ciuffenna

Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991 : 4,452

The Municipal territory of Loro Ciuffenna, extends for 86,75 square kilometres in the Valdarno Superiore including the uppermost tract of the crest and the south eastern slopes of Pratomagno, on a terraced plain to the right of the river Arno. Crossed by the route of the Via Cassia Antiqua, it was a feudal centre, then a Marquisate, and finally the Seat of the community.
Loro Ciuffenna was mentioned for the first time in a document of 1059 with which the Counts Guidi, who were already feudal Lords, conceded the castle in sub-feudal to a certain Noble Ugo, probably a member of the Ubertini family ; it remained under the dominion the Guidi for almost the entire XIII century until in 1293 the Fiorentini republic took away all their jurisdiction over the territory. In the Late Middle Ages Loro was a notable urban development owing to its nearness with an important traffic arterial like the Cassia and to its weekly market conceded by Firenze during the course of the 1300s.
Subjected to the Podesta office of Terranuova, in 1646 Loro was given in feudal, with the title of Marquisate to the Friorentina family of Capponi, and remained with them until the abolition of the feudal rights in the Grand Duchy. During the Nazi occupation, in June of 1944 the inhabitants of the district of San Giustino were the object of a retaliation which provoked more than 30 victims.

Places to Visit :
Museum “Venturino Venturi”, where the artistic activity is illustrated by a collection of drawings and sculptures.
S. Maria Assunta, placed in the centre of the town, it houses a tryptich by Lorenzo di Bicci.
Nostra Signora dell’Umiltà, XV-XVII century basilica.
di trenta vittime.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford

 
 
 
   
 
return to top of page
   
       
  Terra di Toscana

© All rights reserved Polimedia di Laura Fumoni
Via Landucci 39 - 50136 - Firenze - P.IVA 05575950489 - REA C.C.I.A.A. FIRENZE N. 559547
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia

 
  Advertising | About us | Contacts | Site search | Copyright - Disclaimer | Press Kit