Inhabitants in 1991: 4.082
municipal territory of Magliano in Toscana extends for 250,68 square kilometres
in a hilly area to the south of Grosseto, its southern borders
touch the river Albegna and those of the west the Tyrrhenian sea. Aldobrandeschi
castle in the Medival era and Grand Duchy feudal in modern times,
it also comprises within its borders the districts of Montiano and Pereta.
Already around the VI century B.C.. close to the location of the present
day town of Magliano there was a considerable Etruscan Settlement,
Heba, capital of a vast territory. From 287 B.C. this passed
under Roman domination and became an important colony, flourishing
until the first century of the Roman Empire. The first document
which mentioned Magliano goes back however to the end of the XI century
and states that from that period the castle belonged to the Aldobrandeschi
Counts. With the certificate of May 1221 Emperor Federico II confirmed
the ownership to Ildebrando, a Count palatine of the Aldobrandeschi,
who in his turn conceded it as vassal to Bernardino di Magliano. Until
1400, because of its important strategic position it was more than
once assaulted and sacked, contested by Siena and the Santa Fiora branch
of the Aldobrandeschi to whom it had been attributed in 1274 with
the act of division of the Aldobrandesca county. In 1365, under its walls,
the Siena troops put to flight the mercenary militia of the Englishman
John Hawkwood. Between 1339 and 1345 Magliano was ceded by the
Aldobrandeschi to the Siena republic, who maintained their dominion
until the republic’s fall in 1555. Incorporated with all
the Maremma in the Grand Duchy of Toscana, in 1559 it was conceded
in feudal by Cosimo I with the title of Marquisate to Lieutenant General
Cornelio Bentivoglio di Ferrara, in whose family it remained until
1751, except for a brief interval between 1635 and 1661.
|Places to visit:
The Walls, from 1300, still well
conserved on three sides, they are delimited by round towers.
Palazzo del Priori, from 1425, constructed in Gothic style.
Has the façade covered with Podesta coats of arms
Martino, church built before the year 1000, in the subsequent
centuries it has been enlarged and remade several times. The interior
with murals is formed by two diverse areas, the first of Roman foundation,
the second in Gothic form.
S. Giovanni Battista, construction
of Romanic origin, shows the various styles with which it was more
than once remade in the subsequent centuries. The interesting interior
has a nave with three arches supporting the ceiling. It has fine murals.
Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford