Inhabitants in 1991: 2.244
The municipal territory extends for 45,29 square kilometres in the
western part of the Island of Elba on the northern slopes of Monte
It reached its present day extension in 1884, when several districts
were detached to form the municipality of Marciana Marina.
The area was inhabited from the Roman era, as is attested to in
the archaeological finds found in the neighbourhood, which had origins
in the Dark Ages as autonomous community comprising Marciana di
Poggio (today Marciana) and Marciana di Marina (today Marciana Marina).
Placed under the political dominion of the republic of Pisa, together
with all the islands of the Toscano Archipelago, it was fortified by Pisa
becoming a military stronghold. In 1399 it passed under the Lordship
of the Principality of the Appiani di Piombino. Who in the 1400s
built an elegant Lordly palace. In 1799 it became part of the French
republic against whom it did not wait long to rebel (its inhabitants
besieged the French at Portoferraio) At the end of the French domination
it was aggregated to the Grand Duchy of Toscana.
|Places to visit:
S. Caterina, elegant 1500s church
situated at the entrance to the town.
Civic Museum of Archaeology,
where a collection of archaeological finds dated from prehistoric
times to the Roman era are on display.
Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford