Terra di Toscana www.terraditoscana.com

Towns of the area

10 / 20

Marciana

Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 2.244

The municipal territory extends for 45,29 square kilometres in the western part of the Island of Elba on the northern slopes of Monte Capanne.
It reached its present day extension in 1884, when several districts were detached to form the municipality of Marciana Marina.

The area was inhabited from the Roman era, as is attested to in the archaeological finds found in the neighbourhood, which had origins in the Dark Ages as autonomous community comprising Marciana di Poggio (today Marciana) and Marciana di Marina (today Marciana Marina). Placed under the political dominion of the republic of Pisa, together with all the islands of the Toscano Archipelago, it was fortified by Pisa becoming a military stronghold. In 1399 it passed under the Lordship of the Principality of the Appiani di Piombino. Who in the 1400s built an elegant Lordly palace. In 1799 it became part of the French republic against whom it did not wait long to rebel (its inhabitants besieged the French at Portoferraio) At the end of the French domination it was aggregated to the Grand Duchy of Toscana.

Places to visit:
S. Caterina, elegant 1500s church situated at the entrance to the town.
Civic Museum of Archaeology, where a collection of archaeological finds dated from prehistoric times to the Roman era are on display.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford


Terraditoscana © Polimedia - All rights reserved
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia - P.IVA 05575950489