Terra di Toscana www.terraditoscana.com

Towns of the area

11 / 20

Marciana Marina

Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 1.971

The municipal territory has an extension of 5,76 square kilometres and is formed in a semicircle inside a creek on the north west of the Island of Elba, at the mouth of a valley in the slopes of Monte Capanne. It was constituted in autonomous municipality in 1884, with the aggregation of districts detached form the municipality of Marciana. In 1894, in its turn it suffered the amputation of the districts of Sant’Ilario con Pila, San Piero in Campo, Marina di Campo and Pianosa, who formed the municipality of Campo nell’Elba.

As far as its history is concerned its past economic news goes back to Marciana, showing the two centres under the same administration at length.

Places to visit:
The Pisa Tower, a cylindrical construction of the XII century.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford


Terraditoscana © Polimedia - All rights reserved
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia - P.IVA 05575950489