Home Cuisine Landscape and nature Architecture and art Sport Accommodation Visiting Gadget Learning Arts and Crafts The way we were Organized tours Home Cucina Paesaggio e natura Arti e Mestieri Sport Accoglienza Visitare Gadget A scuola di... Architettura e arte Come eravamo Tour organizzati
Italiano
English
Visiting
Visiting
Visita il Mugello, culla dei medici, a due passi da Firenze e le bellezze toscane
 

Visiting Tuscany

 

 
 

Towns of the area

10 / 22

Massa e Cozzile

Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 6.598

The municipal territory of Massa e Cozzile extends for 16,01 square kilometres in the hills of high Valdinievole. Seat of Podesta office from the XIV century, the community constituted by two centres reached its present day aspect with the Leopoldini regulations in 1775.

Village fortified during the Medieval, Massa and the overlooking castle of Cozzile were recorded in documents of the X and XI centuries as the property of the Bishops of Lucca, who ceded houses and land in this location to the Maona Counts under the title of emphyteusis (legal possession after a certain number of years of occupation). In 1330, after a long contest for the possession of the territory between Lucca and Firenze, Massa e Cozzile became Fiorentine and new fortification works were put into action. With the definitive subjugation of Pistoia at the beginning of the 1400s, in the general administrative reorganisation of the Valdinievole, the Fiorentino governor decreed that the Verruca castle should belong to the municipality of Massa and that the military garrison be stationed at Cozzile and maintained by local money with a contribution by Firenze, while in 1404 the Vicar of Pescia established the layout of the borders between the municipalities of Massa and Buggiano: the jurisdiction of the latter Podesta office was finally posted under Massa e Cozzile in 1420.

Places to visit:
S. Maria Assunta, with a Romanic bell tower, it was remodelled in the Renaissance era. In its interior are preserved precious works of art and inlaid furniture from the 1400s.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford

 
 
 
   
 
return to top of page
   
       
  Terra di Toscana

© All rights reserved Polimedia di Laura Fumoni
Via Landucci 39 - 50136 - Firenze - P.IVA 05575950489 - REA C.C.I.A.A. FIRENZE N. 559547
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia

 
  Advertising | About us | Contacts | Site search | Copyright - Disclaimer | Press Kit